Postdoctoral Fellowship in Systems Optimization for Sustainable Resources Utilization at the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) in Rwanda
The Research Chair Prof. Abebe Geletu at AIMS Rwanda in collaboration with the Process Optimization
Group Chair Prof. Pu Li at TU Ilmenau is offering Postdoctoral fellowships at AIMS Rwanda research
center in Kigali. These fellowships are made available and funded by the DAAD to promote international
academics exchange as well as educational co-operation with developing countries through a variety
of funding and scholarship programs.
Optimization, predictive control, and computational intelligence methods for efficient use of
regenerative energy resources and sustainable and equitable distribution and management of water
▪ Mathematical analysis and computational approaches to chance constrained optimization,
centralized and distributed model predictive control, and development as well as
implementation of data-driven and machine learning algorithms to be applied in water
distribution systems for water quality management and control
▪ Development of efficient approaches to online estimation of model parameters of battery
systems in microgrids aiming at optimal and reliable energy supply with intermittent renewable
▪ Ph.D. degree with an outstanding performance in applied mathematics, power engineering,
water systems engineering (not more than 6 years from the starting date of the appointment)
▪ Specialization in mathematical optimization and/or optimal control theory and numerical
▪ Experience in implementing and deploying large-scale optimization algorithms
▪ Strong programming skills in C/C++ or other optimization tools
▪ Ability to actively work in an interdisciplinary research environment
▪ Academic excellence and track records in conducting research and projects with at least 2 years
of teaching and research experience
▪ Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
▪ Preferably a national of an African country
Female candidate and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to
Successful fellows are expected to conduct research and publish results in the thematic areas of
Systems Optimization for Sustainable Resources Utilization in peer-reviewed journals and international
conferences. They are expected to be actively engaged in the research activities of the German Research
Chair, contribute to the implementation of the cooperation between the German Research Chair and
the Process Optimization Group at TU Ilmenau. Fellows are also expected to have some involvement in
the AIMS Rwanda academic programs.
Please, send completed applications to Prof. Abebe Geletu (email@example.com) and Prof. Pu Li
(firstname.lastname@example.org). Applicants should submit the documents in one single PDF file
▪ Letter of motivation
▪ Curriculum Vitae (including list of publications)
▪ Copy of the PhD Certificate
▪ Research proposal (maximum 2 pages)
▪ Copy of passport or national ID
▪ At least one reference letter
The deadline for the postdoctoral fellowship application is 31.01.2022.
Fellowships are tenable for one year, contingent on satisfactory progress, and could be extended for
a second year.
Scholarship instalment 1.850,00 EUR (Monthly) – 2000,00 EUR (monthly during
research stays in Germany)
Travel costs Covered (if applicable)
Health Insurance costs Covered
Additional benefits are made available for research stay at TU Ilmenau during the fellowship.
Furthermore, the expenditure for the local health insurance is eligible for funding. Please, note that the
fellowships cannot be held concurrently with any supplementary funding.
DISCLAIMER: AIMS Rwanda and TU Ilmenau reserve the right to disqualify ineligible, incomplete and/or
inappropriate applications. AIMS also reserves the right not to make an appointment to the position as
advertised or to extend the deadline for applications. Only successful applicants will be contacted.