The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) is a pan-African network of centres of excellence for postgraduate training in mathematical sciences, research and public engagement in STEM. Its mission is to enable Africa’s brightest students to flourish as independent thinkers, problem solvers and innovators capable of propelling Africa’s future scientific, educational and economic self-sufficiency. The first AIMS centre opened in Cape Town, South Africa in 2003; since 2011, AIMS has opened additional centres in Senegal, Ghana, Cameroon and Rwanda.
Each AIMS Centre provides expertly tailored academic and non-academic programs, training around 50 African students per master program each year and preparing them for leadership in the domains of academia, government and industry. The AIMS academic program relies on top international lecturers who teach in a 24-hour learning environment.
If you bring a collaborative spirit with a passion to effect change, consider this opportunity:
|AIMS Global Network Academic Development Manager
|Chief Academic Officer, AIMS Global Network (CAO), and to the Director for Academic Development
|Full Time, Contract – 2 years
To support, in general, the academic development activities of the AIMS Global Network and to specifically provide support to the management on some academic aspects of the AIMS centre in Cameroon—including the Teacher Training Program, under the direction of the Chief Academic Officer and President of the AIMS Centre in Cameroon.
Academic and Administrative support to the AIMS Global Network
- coordinating the academic activities at the AIMS Global Network.
- updating and enforcing the Academic Quality Assurance Policy of the AIMS Global Network.
- evaluating the existing and new training programs with the support of the Internal Academic Auditor of the AIMS Global Network.
- delivering some courses—falling in his or her domain of specialisation— at the AIMS Global Network.
- supporting the eLearning content production and diffusion for the AIMS-Global Network.
Academic and Administrative support to the AIMS Centre in Cameroon
Provide support to the Centre President and the Academic Director of AIMS-Cameroon in:
- designing new training programs in the Centre
- developing grant proposals and research projects
- enforcing academic quality assurance at the Centre
- contributing to and supporting the Teachers Training Program at AIMS-Cameroon
- conducting higher-level research in mathematics and its applications, supervising Master and PhD theses of students affiliated with AIMS-Cameroon, in addition to delivering some courses—falling in his or her domain of specialisation— at AIMS-Cameroon
- initiating and organising scientific and outreach events in mathematical sciences
Competencies & Other Requirements
- A Doctorate in Mathematics and its Applications
- 7+years experience in managing academic professionals in an international setting, with particular expertise in African academia;
- An active research profile in mathematics and its applications with a wide knowledge of mathematics and its’ potential on the development;
- A good mastery of pedagogy and the use of ICT for mathematics education including online education;
- Superb relationship management skills to lead, manage and mentor a diverse team of academic professionals
- A genuine passion to heighten the development of mathematical sciences in Africa
- Fluency in English is essential, and working knowledge of French is desirable
- Willing and able to travel within and outside of Africa
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Internet applications (Dropbox, Skype, Gmail, etc.), Latex, Python, and Computer Algebra Software.
- May require occasional weekend and/or evening work;
- Position to be based in Limbe, with frequent short travels in Cameroon and in the host countries of other AIMS Centres;
- Should be prepared and ready to take on the function of Interim Academic Director/Manager at any AIMS centre for a couple of months, in case of a vacancy on short notice.
- May be required to work outside normal working hours
Are you ready to be a part of the transformation of mathematical science education in Cameroon and in Africa?
Click here to apply. Applications will be accepted until February 28, 2024.
Should you not receive feedback from AIMS-NEI within five weeks of your submission, kindly accept that your application will not be further pursued. AIMS-NEI reserves the right not to make an appointment at its sole discretion.
AIMS-NEI is an equal opportunity employer. Visit www.nexteinstein.org to learn more about AIMS.